Thursday, July 17, 2008

Condolence from Chris Pope, a friend and former PhD student

Dear Carolyn, Courtenay, Jonathan, and Megan,
I send my sympathy and condolences about your loss. I trust that the Prince of Peace will grant your hearts and spirits “the peace that passeth all understanding”. Allow yourselves to be human at this time; remember that His strength is perfected in weakness. The battle is over. We all know Jack is with the Lord now -- because God loved him so much that he got tired of having a long-distance relationship.

I gladly would have given anything to visit Jack at the end, and to attend the memorial service. My absence was solely due to lack of funds. Rest assured that I am there in spirit with you all. When I make it out there next, I will visit, if you wish.

I am embarrassed to say that Jack’s death caught me by surprise. After your blog entry on May 27th, when he was doing quite well, it seemed to me that Jack was one of those who had attained long-term recovery. My next news came from Phil’s letter last week about Jack’s passing into the higher realms. It was a tough reminder that nothing, nothing at all, can be taken for granted in this world, that the answer to the question "Isn't this the very moment when connection and caring would be most appropriate?" [Chellis Glendinning] is YES. “For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.” (1 Corinthians 13:12)

Jack Howard the professor delighted in gaining and sharing knowledge; now he not only has the joy of complete knowledge but also the knowledge of complete joy -- a knowledge for which we will have to wait a bit longer for until we reunite with him in the presence of the Lord.

“There was a message written in pencil on the tiles by the roller towel. This was it:WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF LIFE?
Trout plundered his pockets for a pen or pencil. He had an answer to the question. But he had nothing to write with, not even a burnt match. So he left the question unanswered, but here is what he would have written, if he had found anything to write with: To be the eyes and ears and conscience of the Creator of the Universe, you fool.” [Kurt Vonnegut, “Breakfast of Champions”]

Nobody can ever call Jack Howard a fool. He allowed the Lord to work through him in ever so many ways. He also knew that his real treasures were in heaven; his heart was there with Christ. [Matthew 6:19-21] Whether or not Jack verbally expressed his faith was nowhere near as important as the example he gave of how to live guided by the Spirit.

It would have been nice for him as my supervisor for my graduate and post-doctoral work to have been around long enough to see me attain success professionally. Let me take that back. He will be able to see, but I won’t be able to see and hear his pleasure in it. In one other important way, I already have “made it”. When he signed my email “your friend, Jack”, I knew that he saw me as an equal. No paycheck can match that.

The doctoral thesis I wrote for Jack was dedicated “to the One who loved to play so much that He/She/It created a universe with 7 A[ngstrom] soccerballs in it.” {7 Angstroms is the diameter of the fullerene C60, roughly 30 billionths of an inch.] In days long passed, some considered how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Jack will no doubt let them know that the correct question is how many angels can play soccer there, and will help them arrive at the proper answer. As the chant goes: “May the long time Sun shine upon you, all love surround you, and the pure light within you, guide your way home.” Jack is home now. It is our loss... and the world’s loss. But he lives on in our minds and hearts.

with my concern, sympathy, and love,
Chris

Christopher J. Pope
1550 Springtown Blvd. #17
E Livermore, CA 94551(925) 895-3424

No comments: