Sunday, September 30, 2007

Letter from Bill Grieco

Carolyn—

You may recall that I was one of Jack’s graduate students in the mid- to late-90s. I just heard about Jack’s health situation from an MIT faculty member yesterday. Please know that all of you are in our thoughts. If there is anything that I can do, please let me know.

You should also know (and I hope that he does as well!) that Jack had a profound impact on me as a student and as an engineer. I can’t count the times when I’ve asked myself the question “What would JBH do in this situation?” to help guide me in facing technical, professional, and ethical issues. He has always been an excellent role model for his students and colleagues. As Jack commented in an email after a phone chat that he and I had in late June, we easily fell back into our old habits of long conversations and that it seemed like old times. My grad school memories will always be of my late day (and often early night…to the chagrin of my wife, Tonya) discussions with Jack when it seemed like we were trying to solve all the world’s problems. Really good times and great memories…

Know that we are with you.

Take care,
Bill

No comments: