Thursday, July 3, 2008

Email from Phil Westmoreland July 3, 2008

Dear Carolyn,
I saw this morning's blog entry. We're thinking of you all and praying for your strength and comfort.This weekend, I went by the infirmary first on Saturday about 11 am. Jack was sleeping, but Viktor and Jack's brother Keith and I talked awhile. I went back by Saturday night and last night, each time having about a 30-min visit with him. Saturday night, he was floating in and out but could talk haltingly a little, so I insisted on doing most of the talking. Not hard for a professor!He was not very intelligible Sunday night at all, but he was able to communicate that he needed some water and I gave it to him. When I left, I told him how good it was to see him and he said quite clearly, "It's always good to see you, Phil."

Before I left Cambridge Monday morning, I went by again. Among other things, I told him I'd just been in contact with Adel Sarofim about a soot paper in progress, and he smiled in appreciation. I showed him some of our family pictures on the laptop, and he asked where "the children" are now and how Kathleen was, asking me to give her his best.Despite his physical decline, he is still hanging on to his awareness and endearing thoughtfulness.
Phil--

Prof. Phillip R. WestmorelandDept of Chemical Engineering, Univ of Massachusetts Amherst157A Goessmann; 686 N Pleasant; Amherst MA 01003-9303413-545-1750 (Sect'y at -2507), eFAX 775-254-2509http://www.ecs.umass.edu/che/faculty/westmoreland.html[On leave, serving as:Program Director; Combustion, Fire, and Plasma SystemsNational Science Foundation4201 Wilson Blvd, Arlington VA 22230703-292-8371; FAX 703-292-9054 ]

No comments: