Saturday, July 12, 2008

Email from Anish Goel - a former student of Jack's who lives in the Washington DC area now

Dear Mrs. Howard, Courtenay, and Jonathan,

You may not remember me but I was one of Professor Howard's last students at MIT - having graduated in the spring of 2002 with a PhD that he so deftly steered me towards. I am extremely saddened to hear about Professor Howard's passing on Monday. Please allow me to offer my deepest sympathy and condolences (and those of my family - who also thought the world of him) to all of you.

Ican't imagine how difficult this time must be but I hope that happy memories of Professor Howard are seeing you through. Although I had not seen Professor Howard in a few years now, I thought about him often. To this day, I still thank Professor Howard for the incredible experience he gave me at MIT. The principles of dedication, deceny, and integrity that he embodied are ones that I try to emulate every day - though I fall far short of his legendary example. I didn't fully realize it when I graduated, but he really did teach me how to be successful in almost any pursuit - and what it really means to be successful. Perhaps no one outside my own family has had more of an influence on me than Professor Howard. Throughout my four years under his tutelage, not once did I ever see him angry or upset, and not once did he ever fail to support me in anyway -even when I made monumental mistakes (such as breaking a piece of lab equipment that cost over $15,000....it was an accident, I swear). He was nothing but kind and helpful, while encouraging and firm at the same time. I once described him as a wise Jedi master - an analogy, which, if a bit crude, I think is wonderfully appropriate. His calm and cool demeanor defined the walking authority that allowed him stay above the normal fray of the profession he spent so much time in. I am hoping very much to attend the memorial service on Wednesday but forces beyond my control may conspire against me. If I am unable to attend, please accept my deepest apologies and regrets. Even if I am not there in person, I will be thinking of him fondly.
Warm regards,
Anish Goel

No comments: