Saturday, July 19, 2008

Condolence from Becky Rust, former assistant to Jack

Dear Carolyn:

Perhaps you won’t remember me, but I was Jack’s secretary from 1981-84. It was by sheer coincidence that I learned today of his passing, and I’m truly devastated. We so often take for granted that those who have been significant in our lives will always be around and always available. I assumed that I might come to Boston “at any time” and drop in and see him in Building 66 (though I did only once, and that was 16 years ago) and that he would still have a sweet smile and a kindly word for me. What a horrible shock it was to learn that he has already left for a better place.

I want to share my favorite memory of Jack with you. One day I was criticized by one of my bosses, who seldom bothered to speak to me at all. Jack noticed my downcast expression and asked me what was wrong. He then said, “Becky, you’re so wrong! Professor [ ] really likes you very much! He has said many nice things about you to me.” Although his statement was probably more diplomatic than true, I cheered up immediately and took on a more helpful, appreciative attitude toward that professor. Jack’s tactful comment – which was so typical of him – defused a troubled situation and made the office atmosphere pleasant again. I have often borrowed that approach and used it with my children!!

It has now been 24 years since I left the Chemical Engineering Department. I married a submarine officer (who will retire next year from the Navy) and we have two children, John (17) and Lindsey (11). John will be a senior at a classical Christian school this year, and I homeschool Lindsey. We live in Leesburg, Virginia.

As I said, it was an amazing coincidence that I learned of Jack’s passing two days after his funeral. I was researching something on the Internet, and a link took me to the MIT online newspaper (something that didn’t even exist when I worked at MIT). I saw Jack’s name and immediately clicked on it, expecting to read of his latest publication or honor. I was stunned to read instead that he had so recently passed away. I then found your blog and began to read all the entries, all the while asking myself, “Why did this happen? Why did I happen to read about Professor Howard today of all times?” When I read your beautiful testimony, I knew. Jack wanted everyone he had known to know about his love for the Lord. We had never discussed religion in the office, and I never knew what his feelings about the Lord really were (though I should have seen the Lord’s presence in his sweet life). It comforts me to think that his wishes are being fulfilled; that the Internet is being used to make his Christian testimony available to everyone who has ever known him. Thank you, Carolyn, for posting the testimony on your blog.

With deepest condolences to you, Jonathan, and Courtenay,

Rebecca Sharp Rust
Leesburg, Virginia

No comments: