Sunday, December 9, 2007

Frank Rhodes - a former student

Dear professor Howard

I was saddened to hear that you have been diagnosed with brain cancer.

I wish you the best as you struggle with this challenge.

I received a MS/BS thesis from your and worked in your lab in 1980 and 1981. You were head of the ChemE Dept at the time.

I did a bunch of coal pyrolysis experiments on your fancy dancy machine. I mostly took data, but you were generous enough to let that pass as a master’s thesis anyway.

Not only did I learn about coal, but became quite the beer sophisticate, as well. Your head lab technician taught me a lot in both arenas.

You were always kind, not too demanding and always friendly and available. I remember the whole experience fondly.

After about two years plying the Chemical Engineering trade, I ended up becoming and entrepreneur. Flipping houses and running/growing a family sign business.

Again, all the best as you deal with this challenge

Regards, Frank

No comments: