Monday, November 5, 2007

Professor Bill Green comments

Dear Jack,

Amanda and I have been following your progress on your blog; we are inspired by your resilience and are cherishing you in our thoughts and prayers.

I feel extremely lucky, both to have caught your eye when I first applied to work at MIT,and then to have had you as a mentor and collaborator as I started out as an assistant professor. After a long week dealing with the stresses that come with that job, it was such a relief to spend a few minutes in unhurried conversation with you, to feel your calm and thoughtful influence. And it was very reassuring to see in front of me someone who had dealt with the same stresses I was facing, both at work and at home, and had found a way to maintain a balance and a focus on what was really important. So I am very grateful for the moments I have been able to spend with you and for the example you set me.

I hope that, as you did for me, I may some day be able to help some new asst. prof. find his bearings.

If I may, I would like to stop by to visit. When would be a good time?

Peace and Love,
Bill

Prof. William H. Green
MIT Dept. of Chemical Engineering
(617)253-4580 Room 66-270

No comments: