Monday, September 10, 2007

Letter from Greg and Sandra McRae

Dear Jack:

I have just heard the news as both Sandra and I have been in Australia for the last month away from regular email contact. We are thinking of you and Carolyn at this difficult time -- you are in our prayers. The reason for the trip to Australia was to see my younger brother who is going through a similar experience. There is no question that you and my brother have the key ingredients for survival: an indomitable spirit, fearlessness in facing the unknown, first rate medical care, a loving family and above all a sense of humor.

When I next see you I have a present -- a sample of Victorian brown coal that I collected during a recent visit to Morwell. Now I know that you are one of the world's experts on coal and have probably seen more than enough lumps of coal but there are two reasons for the gift. The first is symbolic. Under pressure the wet soggy mess can be turned into a sparkling diamond, from adversity can come real rewards. The second reason is more pragmatic, the world needs your help in dealing with the energy/climate problem -- coal is going to be an integral part of the solution. Your research in the past is once again at the cutting edge. Jack, we need you to get well soon.

I will be returning to the U.S. from my sabbatical in Norway at the end of September and hope that I can come and visit. At the very least we both have important upcoming birthdays to celebrate on October 16. In the meantime you and your family are in our thoughts. Please do not hesitate to contact either me or Sandra if there is anything we can do to help out.

Your friends
Greg and Sandra

No comments: